NGC-Licensed Massachusetts Cash Realizes Over $2.9 Million
A gaggle of 128 uncommon Massachusetts Colonial cash, practically all licensed by Numismatic Warranty Firm (NGC), has realized over $2.9 million in a Heritage Auctions sale. Averaging an astounding $23,000 apiece, the cash from the gathering of numismatic researcher Christopher J. Salmon had been provided on August 22, 2022.
The highest lot was a 1652 Willow Tree Sixpence graded NGC AU 55 (lot 3250) that realized $312,000. These silver cash from the Massachusetts Bay Colony had been among the many first to be minted in British America. This specific coin can be pedigreed to the Garrett Assortment.
The Willow Tree cash changed the preliminary sequence, recognized for the “NE” design factor that’s brief for “New England”. The opposite facet of those cash shows a Roman numeral to indicate the denomination: XII represents a shilling, which is the equal of 12 pence.
The preliminary “NE” sequence was seen as susceptible to clipping and counterfeiting and was shortly phased out. The public sale included six examples of “NE” Shillings – together with one graded NGC VF 35 (lot 3238) that realized $204,000 and one other graded NGC XF 45 (lot 3239) that realized $192,000.
That is the primary of three Heritage gross sales this yr that includes choices from the Salmon Assortment. Salmon is the writer of Silver Cash of Massachusetts: Classification, Minting Method, Atlas, the definitive work on these historic cash. The reference guide consists of an efficient and versatile system to categorise their varieties.
NGC is showcasing over 350 cash that it licensed from the Salmon Assortment in a picture gallery on its web site. The cash are sortable by selection and embody their catalog quantity, providing the coin amassing neighborhood a complete analysis instrument for Massachusetts Colonial coinage.
To discover the gallery, go to NGCcoin.com/Salmon.
Different highlights from the Salmon Assortment within the public sale included:
- A (1652) “NE” Shilling (Salmon 1-A) graded NGC AU Particulars (lot 3237) that realized $180,000
- A (1652) “NE” Shilling (Salmon 3-D) graded NGG AU 50 (lot 3242) that realized $168,000
- A 1652 Willow Tree Shilling (Salmon 2-A) graded NGC VF 35 (lot 3245) that realized $156,000
- A 1652 Willow Tree Shilling (Salmon 3-C) graded NGC VF 30 (lot 3247) that realized $144,000
- A 1652 “IN” OBV Oak Tree Sixpence (Salmon 3-C) graded NGC AU 55 (lot 3284) that realized $117,000
- A 1652 Willow Tree Shilling (Salmon 3-D) graded NGC VF 25 (lot 3248) that realized $114,000
- A (1652)”NE” Shilling (Salmon 3-C) graded NGC VF 35 (lot 3241) that realized $108,000
- A (1652) “NE” Shilling (Salmon 3-B) graded NGC XF Particulars (lot 3240) that realized $69,000
- A 1652 Pellets Pine Tree Shilling (Salmon 1-A) graded NGC MS 63 (lot 3307) that realized $55,200
Costs realized embody purchaser’s premium.